NIMHANS (National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences) is a premier institute for mental health and neurological care in India. It has a team of highly qualified and experienced neurologists who provide diagnosis and treatment for various neurological disorders such as stroke, epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, dementia, headache, and neuromuscular diseases.
If you are looking for the best neurologist at NIMHANS, you may be wondering how to choose the right one for your condition. In this blog post, we will give you some tips on how to find the best neurologist at NIMHANS based on your needs and preferences.
Know your condition and symptoms
Before you visit a neurologist, it is important to have a clear idea of your condition and symptoms. This will help you narrow down your search and communicate better with the doctor. You can do some research online or consult your primary care physician to get some basic information about your condition and symptoms. You can also prepare a list of questions that you want to ask the neurologist, such as:
- What is the possible cause of my condition?
- What are the tests and investigations that I need to undergo?
- What are the treatment options and their benefits and risks?
- How long will the treatment take and what are the expected outcomes?
- What are the possible side effects or complications of the treatment?
- How can I prevent or manage my condition in the future?
Check the credentials and expertise of the neurologist
Once you have some idea of your condition and symptoms, you can start looking for a neurologist at NIMHANS who specializes in your area of interest. You can check the credentials and expertise of the neurologist by visiting their profile on the NIMHANS website or by contacting them directly. Some of the factors that you can consider are:
- Qualification: The neurologist should have a DM (Doctorate of Medicine) or DNB (Diplomate of National Board) degree in Neurology from a recognized institution.
- Experience: The neurologist should have adequate experience in treating patients with similar conditions as yours. You can ask them about their success rate, complication rate, and patient satisfaction rate.
- Research: The neurologist should be involved in research activities related to your condition. You can check their publications, presentations, awards, and grants on their profile or on online databases such as PubMed or Google Scholar.
- Areas of interest: The neurologist should have specific areas of interest or sub-specialties that match your condition. For example, if you have epilepsy, you may want to consult a neurologist who has expertise in epilepsy or refractory epilepsy. Similarly, if you have movement disorders, you may want to consult a neurologist who has expertise in Parkinson’s disease or dystonia.
Choose the mode of consultation
Depending on your convenience and preference, you can choose the mode of consultation with the neurologist at NIMHANS. There are three modes of consultation available:
You can visit the neurology outpatient department (OPD) at NIMHANS and register for an in-person consultation with the neurologist. You will need to pay a nominal fee for registration and consultation. You will also need to bring your medical records, reports, and medications with you. You can check the OPD timings and availability of the neurologist on the NIMHANS website or by calling them.
You can book an online consultation with the neurologist through the NIMHANS Digital Academy portal. You will need to register on the portal and pay a fee for a consultation. You will also need to upload your medical records, reports, and medications on the portal. You can choose a convenient date and time for your consultation and receive a confirmation email with a link to join the video call with the neurologist.
You can also opt for teleconsultation with the neurologist through phone or WhatsApp. You will need to send an email to [email protected] with your name, age, gender, contact number, address, diagnosis, current medications, reports, and preferred date and time for consultation. You will receive a reply email with a confirmation of your appointment and payment details. You will need to pay a fee for consultation through online mode. You will receive a call from the neurologist at the scheduled time.
Follow up with the neurologist
After your initial consultation with the neurologist at NIMHANS, you should follow up with them regularly to monitor your progress and adjust your treatment plan if needed. You can follow up with them through any of the modes mentioned above. You should also follow their advice regarding medication adherence, lifestyle modifications, rehabilitation exercises, and preventive measures.
What is NIMHANS?
NIMHANS stands for National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences. It is a premier institute for mental health and neurological care in India. It is located in Bangalore, Karnataka.
Why should I choose NIMHANS for my neurological condition?
NIMHANS has a team of highly qualified and experienced neurologists who provide diagnosis and treatment for various neurological disorders such as stroke, epilepsy, Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis, dementia, headache, and neuromuscular diseases. It also has state-of-the-art facilities and equipment for neuroimaging, electrophysiology, neurosurgery, neurorehabilitation, and research.
How can I book an appointment with a neurologist at NIMHANS?
You can book an appointment with a neurologist at NIMHANS through three modes: in-person consultation, online consultation, or teleconsultation. You can check the availability and contact details of the neurologist on the NIMHANS website or by calling them. You will need to pay a nominal fee for consultation and provide your medical records, reports, and medications.
What are the sub-specialties of neurology at NIMHANS?
The sub-specialties of neurology at NIMHANS are epilepsy, movement disorders, neuromuscular disorders, cognitive neurology, stroke, pediatric neurology, and neuro-infections. You can choose a neurologist who has expertise in your area of interest or condition.
What are the common tests and procedures that a neurologist at NIMHANS may perform?
Some of the common tests and procedures that a neurologist at NIMHANS may perform are blood tests, lumbar puncture, MRI scans, CT scans, EEG (electroencephalogram), EMG (electromyography), nerve conduction studies, evoked potentials, video EEG monitoring, transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), botulinum toxin injections, deep brain stimulation (DBS), thalamotomy, pallidotomy, and biliary endoscopy.